Government co-contribution

If you earn less than $52,697 a year, the government will add to any contributions you make from your after-tax pay. This is called a co-contribution.

If your income is near the threshold, you may be best making your extra super payments via a combination of before-tax income and after-tax income. Try our Contributions calculator or get in touch and we’ll help you unpack your options.

What is the government co-contribution?

If you earn less than $52,697 a year, for any extra super payments you make from your after-tax money, the government will pay up to 50 cents in the dollar into your super. The maximum co-contribution you can receive is $500 a year, depending on your total income. Total income includes your assessable income, reportable fringe benefits and reportable super contributions.

Who’s eligible?

You’re eligible for a co-contribution if you:

  • earn less than $52,697 in the 2018-19 financial year (including: assessable income, fringe benefits and super contributions)
  • make an after-tax contribution in the current financial year (salary sacrifice contributions are made before-tax and don’t count towards the co-contribution)
  • earn 10% or more of your income from eligible employment, running a business or both
  • are a permanent resident aged under 71 at the end of the financial year you make a payment in
  • lodge a tax return for the previous financial year
  • you haven't exceeded your non-concessional contributions cap for the relevant financial year and your total super account balance isn't $1.6 million or more immediately before the start of the financial year in which the contribution was made. 

How much you will get

How much you’ll receive depends on your income. The table below will help you work it out.

 Your contribution
Your incomeYour estimated co-contribution
$37,697 or less $500 $400 $250 $100
$40,697 $400 $400 $250 $100
$43,697 $300 $300 $250 $100
$46,697 $200 $200 $200 $100
$49,697 $100 $100 $100 $100
$52,697 or more $0 $0 $0 $0

How you receive your co-contribution

There's no need to apply or to do any extra paperwork. If you're eligible, the government will pay the co-contribution directly into your super account after you've put in your tax return for the financial year you made the contribution in.

For example, if you add to your super before 30 June 2019, you'll receive your government co-contribution after you've lodged your 2018-19 tax return.

Next steps

Should you be making before-tax or after-tax contributions? Find out with our super easy Contributions calculator.

Will you have enough for a comfortable retirement? Try our Retirement $ projector and find out.