Tasplan Pty Ltd (known as ‘Tasplan’, ‘us’ or ‘we’) is committed to ensuring the confidentiality and security of your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 and in line with the Australian Privacy Principles.
Protecting your privacy is important to us
This policy outlines what details we keep about you, why we need this information and how we maintain your personal information. We collect information that's necessary to administer your account and to keep you informed of opportunities available to you as a member. You can read our Privacy collection statement here.
Why we need your personal information
We collect your personal information for the following purposes:
- establishing your Tasplan membership
- verifying your identity
- administering your account, including managing your underlying investments, processing contributions to your account, paying or transferring your super benefits
- assessing your eligibility for insurance or benefit claims
- providing you with information about super and other related services
- reporting information required by law or regulations
- managing and resolving complaints made by you
- research to improve products and services.
We may also collect personal information for related purposes such as:
- informing you of opportunities, special offers and promotions available to you as a Tasplan member, also known as direct marketing, and potentially including marketing materials by third parties
- research and feedback to improve the products and services available to you.
You can advise us at any time if you don’t want us to use your personal information for the marketing and research purposes outlined above. This means that we won't advise you of opportunities and additional services available to you as a Tasplan member.
Where we use your personal information to contact you for marketing and research purposes, we’ll give you the opportunity to opt out of any future direct marketing campaigns at the time of contacting you.
What kind of information we collect
We only collect information that is necessary to administer your account and to fulfil our obligations as trustee of your fund.
The type of personal information we collect about you will depend on the products and services provided to you, but may include:
- your full name
- date of birth
- tax file number (TFN)
- contact details including address, phone number and email
- employment details including salary
- details of your nominated beneficiaries
- other information necessary to provide product and services to you.
Over time, this information may be supplemented by financial and other information necessary to administer your account. For example, changes to your investment options, amounts transferred into or out of your account or variations to your insurance.
We may also need to collect sensitive personal information about you, but only with your consent. This will generally be limited to information about your health with regard to insurance eligibility assessments for either applications or claims. We won’t use your sensitive information for any other purpose or share it with anyone else without your permission.
You may choose not to provide some types of information we request. If you don’t provide complete or accurate information, this may have adverse implications such as:
- preventing us from contacting you
- preventing or delaying the processing of your request
- preventing us from accepting some types of super contributions for you
- impacting the taxation of your super
- affecting your eligibility for insurance or benefit claim.
How we collect your information
Where possible, we’ll collect your personal information directly from you.
We collect personal information when you lodge forms such as membership application and change of personal details forms, if you send us documents containing personal information, or if you pass security checks and provide updates to your information either over the phone or in writing. We also collect your personal information when you update your details online in Tasplan Online.
If we don’t have your personal information, including your name, date of birth, address, contact numbers, email address and TFN these can be provided by your employer to enable us to accept, and process, your super contributions and maintain your account. We may also collect your personal information from the Australian Taxation Office, other super entities and other third parties where it’s necessary for the administration of your account or provision of benefits and services to you. Where information has been collected from a third party, it’s the responsibility of the third party to notify the person that their personal information has been disclosed to us.
How we securely store your information
We have strict security measures in place to protect your personal information.
Staff who handle your personal information have the knowledge, skills and commitment to protect it from unauthorised access or misuse. Access to your information is restricted to staff who require the information to administer your account and provide information and services to you.
We have stringent security measures in place to protect your information in accordance with legal requirements, and we regularly audit access to the systems that support us.
Your TFN is recorded in an encrypted form. We can only use your TFN for approved purposes as required by legislation.
How you can access and update your personal information
You have a right to know what information we hold about you and to have it corrected if required. You can access your personal information in Tasplan Online, or you can call us on 1800 005 166.
Your request for access to your personal information will be responded to within 30 days of us receiving the request. You’ll not be charged for making the request for information and information will usually be provided free of charge. However, we reserve the right to impose reasonable charges for provision of information either generally or on a case-by-case basis.
There are some circumstances in which access to information may be denied or restricted. If this applies to you, we’ll explain this to you when you ask for your information.
You can update your personal information in the following ways:
- completing an application form, if you haven’t already done so
- completing a Change your details form
- in Tasplan Online
- over the phone to our Contact Centre by calling us on 1800 005 166
- write to us at Tasplan Super, GPO Box 1547, Hobart TAS 7001
- email us at email@example.com.
Disclosure of your personal information
We’ll not share your information with anyone who doesn't have authority to obtain your information.
There are instances where we need to give your personal information to third parties, though there are strict controls on how they can use this information. The types of organisations to which we may disclose your personal information include:
- printing and mailing companies - organisations contracted to print, mail and/or email items for us
- archiving companies - organisations contracted to ensure that all documents are stored in a secure environment
- actuaries, accountants, auditors, legal advisors and regulators - organisations that ensure we’re complying with legislation and contractual obligations
- insurance companies and underwriters - organisations that provide insurance cover for our members
- medical practitioners and other service providers that assist us with the assessment of claims
- custodians and investment managers – organisations responsible for managing our investments
- marketing and research companies – organisations that conduct member data analysis and research
- IT services – organisations maintaining our information technology systems and providing information technology services
- service providers that cross match your personal details with other super funds to help locate any other super accounts in your name
- your spouse or former spouse, to the extent required by law
- if you die while you’re a member we may share details about your super and insurance with your dependants, legal personal representative or power of attorney as appropriate. The information we share may include the names of your nominated beneficiaries, your account balance and any insurance amount payable
- any fund to which your benefit is to be transferred or rolled over, including the administrator of that fund
- relevant government organisations including the Australian Taxation Office, the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority, the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre, the Australian Securities and Investment Commission, the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal, the Financial Services Ombudsman, the Courts and any other bodies or persons where it is required by law.
We’ll only disclose your personal information to those organisations where we engage them to provide services, for direct marketing or other purposes for which you’d reasonably expect us to use your personal information. Generally, we require organisations who handle or obtain personal information as service providers, to agree to comply with the Privacy Act 1988, the Australian Privacy Principles and this policy.
These organisations may transfer your personal information to organisations located outside Australia (overseas recipients).
An instance where your information may be accessed by an overseas service provider are the deliver some marketing emails – only your name, member number and email address will be shared with the service provider. These services are provided by MailChimp out of the USA.
Your personal information won’t be used or disclosed for any other purpose without your consent, except where required by super, tax or other relevant law. For example, we’re required to report certain information to the Australian Taxation Office for tax related purposes.
We may disclose information to a third party nominated by you, such as your financial planner, where authorisation has been provided by you.
We’ll only disclose your sensitive personal information with your consent. However, without your consent, we may not be able to process your insurance application or assess your claim.
Quality of your personal information
We rely on accurate, complete and up-to-date personal information to provide you with products and services. We require you to regularly check the details we hold about you, such as the personal information provided on your Member statement or on Tasplan Online.
If there are any changes to your personal information, we encourage you to advise us immediately so we can update your details.
Your privacy and the internet
Security of your information
While all reasonable steps are taken to protect your personal information provided through the internet, you should be aware that there are general risks associated with transmitting personal information through the internet. You should assess these potential risks before deciding whether to use our online services. If you don’t want to transmit personal information over the internet you may provide information to us by mail, phone or in person.
What information do we collect?
The information we collect about you depends on how you use the Tasplan website.
If you visit an unsecured area of the website (an area where you’re not required to log in) to read or download information, our service provider will log information for statistical purposes.
We’ll try not to identify users or their browsing activities or try and merge this with personally identifiable information. An exception is, in the event of an investigation, a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect the service provider’s logs.
Interactive tools on the website, such as calculators, often require you to provide personal information. We only retain this information where a calculator or similar tool allows you to save information and retrieve it at a later time. The information stored won’t ordinarily be viewed by us.
How we handle email
If you send us an email requesting information, we’ll use your email address and other information you supply to respond to your request unless you request otherwise.
If you provide us with your email address, we may use it to send regular communications such as updates on new and existing products and services. If you don’t want to receive such information, you can click the unsubscribe link within the email you received, or you can contact us to unsubscribe at any time.
We’ll preserve the content of any email that you send us, if we believe we have a legal requirement to do so. Your email content may be monitored for security issues, including where email abuse is suspected. Our response to you may be monitored for quality assurances purposes.
Cookies are small text files that are sent to the user’s browser to allow the web page browser to retrieve information from the computer. Cookies can either be temporary session cookies, or stored permanently on a computer. We use traditional web browser cookies.
We may use remarketing with Google analytics to advertise online and to access demographic and interest reports. You can opt out of this at Google ad settings or by downloading and installing the Google analytics opt-out browser add-on available here.
We, and third-party vendors, may at times combine cookies together to inform, optimise, and serve ads based on past visits to our website. This may also be used with analytics to report ad impressions and interactions with these ads.
If you’re concerned about cookies, you should be able to adjust your computer settings so that cookies will be rejected, however, this means that you may be unable to view secure pages.
Links to other websites
Our website has links to other internet sites.
These are provided as a convenience to you. We make no warranties and accept no liability in relation to the material contained on any linked external websites.
Who owns this site?
This website is owned by Tasplan Pty Ltd, trustee of Tasplan Super, ABN 13 009 563 062.
Making a complaint
If you consider that any action by us breaches this policy, the Australian Privacy Principles, or otherwise doesn’t respect your privacy, you can make a complaint.
For information on how we handle your personal information, or if you’d like to complain about a possible breach of privacy, contact us in one of the following ways:
|Head office||Level 8, 188 Collins Street
Hobart TAS 7000
|Postal address||Complaints Officer
GPO Box 1547
Hobart TAS 7001
|Phone||1800 005 166|
If you’re not satisfied with our response to your complaint, you can refer the matter to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner. Their contact details are:
|Address||Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
|Phone||1300 363 992|
Document last updated on 2 July 2018.